Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Foods that start with the letter "X"

At Corbin's kindergarten orientation today, we were told that there is a project called "Eat the Alphabet" or something like that. Basically, each child chooses a letter and on the designated day, the child brings in a snack that begins with that letter. So I took Corbin over to the sign up sheet and we talked about what letters would be good and what he wanted. I gave him the pen and said, "Sign up for one." His pen moved up and down the page as he perused the options only to settle on...X. Before I could say anything he was writing his name on the line next to X. I nodded, not wanting to disppoint him, but X? What food starts with the letter X? All I have found is a rare fruit from Africa called a ximenia fruit. Not thinking that is available at the local supermarket. Aw, the joys of parenthood. But seriously, as soon as he wrote his name next to the letter X, my heart was pained by how much I love that boy. I can't believe he is his own little person...starting kindergarten.

5 comments:

Jeff said...

There's a brand of liquor called "X Rated Vodka" that he could take. I'm not sure how well that would go over at the parent teacher conference later that day though.

mindy said...

I am already the -gasp- unmarried mother...might as well finish it off by bringing liquor! :)

Liam Moran said...

How about Ximxim de Galinha? Several South/Central American languages use plenty of X's in their Latinized writing systems. They're usually pronounced like 'sh' though.

Or you could just make some clever cookies. Get some Wolverine, Storm, and Cyclops cookie cutters. Something else would be to make four small pans of rice crispy treats, each one dyed a different color. Then slice them into xylophone-sized keys and put them all together with alternating colors and call it a xylophone treat or something.

Just brainstorming. Don't make fun of me.

mindy said...

These are good ideas! I like the xylophone one. I think I will end up doing something creative like that. I have until March (just found out), so that will be good. Thanks for the input!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought since you have until March. Xinh Xao is what the Vietnamise call jello. It was the one that we used for my Middle school child.